Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Utah in August


We had yet another trip to Utah (YAY!) This time the Harper family was all getting together.  Our family, along with Dave's brother's family from the east coast, were flying stand-by so I was nervous about actually making it to Utah together.  But it worked out like it usually does (after stress and hours finding plan B,C and Z).  Dave even made a flight because he was traveling alone (the kids and I came 2 days early) and there was only one seat so the parties of 2,3,4 and 2 in front of him couldn't take the seat.    Jackson went to grandmas house a few days before us traveling as an unaccompanied minor.  He loved the independence.  

Dave and his brothers went golfing on Friday morning (where Dave lost his wedding ring :( ) Later, our families had breakfast (at lunch time) up the beautiful canyon.  

After a short break at home, we headed to the park for an extended family get-together and a photo shoot.  Despite a bit of sweat getting people ready in the park bathroom, everything went perfectly.  The photos turned out great and for such a large group that is difficult.  

The weird ones

 My heart will burst!! I love these kids!

 Siblings
 Girls and Gramps
 My boys

The party and food!

It is so fun to be with cousins and lifelong friends. 

 Saturday we headed to Provo for breakfast at Callie's with Joe and Rich's family.



 We then went to the BYU scrimmage and burned up in the heat.

 We went to the bookstore at BYU and enjoyed the memories of college life there.

Finally, we headed up to snowbird to take advantage of my parents condo.  We swam in the pool, walked through Oktoberfest, played at the park and barbecued.  Dave's family (missing Michelle) all came up for dinner and a short hike to see the sunset.




  Times like these with our family is my absolute favorite.  I love being around family and cousins and having fun talking, playing and relaxing.

Our family got to stay in the Snowbird condo on Sunday night with my parents, Marcie and Grant and Melinda and enjoy the activities and pool and hiking the next day, too.  It has been a great tradition for our family that we love.  My mom left on Monday to drive to an interview and GOT A JOB teaching 4th grade starting the NEXT DAY!!  She was stressed and frantic to get things together.  She walked into her trailer and it was dirty with NOTHING in it.  Her whole ward and school came together to get her classroom together.  I was able to help out for a few hours before heading to the airport.  It brought back so many great memories of teaching school and stress of getting ready for that first week.  But it was so stressful to do it all in a day!  In all honesty, I think it was the best way for my mom to take the plunge into teaching after 32 years as a stay-at-home mom.  I already miss her (I can't call her at any time now!) but I'm so proud of her for doing what it takes to provide for her family and I think those kids will love her.  I think Heavenly Father has a higher purpose in her teaching after so long being there for her family. 

The flight I wanted to go home with Dave filled up so I had to come home alone with all 3 and it was one of the worst ever.  We got to the airport only 30 minutes before the flight left and getting through security was so stressful.  We had to have a layover in PHX because of full direct flights.  We got food there, but my kids don't eat restaurant food well, and I had no snacks due to helping my mom all day.  By the time we made the flight to DFW (last 4 seats on) My kids were tired (we landed at 11 pm) and our seating arrangement wasn't ideal 2 in front and 2 in back sitting with a stranger on each row.  People were kind and tried to be helpful, but really what can they do.  Jackson's tablet died after 15 minutes and Hallie was throwing emotional tantrums and Mariah was climbing all over.  Nightmare and a half.  Dave was waiting at the gate for us and got at least 3 comments that I was sure glad to see him and I deserve a break (a glass of wine) and 'don't I have my hands full'.  Although well-meaning, it still makes me feel inadequate and judged for having 'so many kids' that I can't 'handle'.  That threw me back into reality after another amazing week with family in Utah.  




No comments: