Tuesday, February 7, 2012

So this is winter? (Utah)


At Christmas time there was NO snow in Utah, so we thought we would try again to get a taste of the snow and cold and such (Dave misses it and we don't wan't Jackson to have a warped view of 'winter' or a lack of experience with snow)  but apparently it is STILL not winter in Utah and we didn't really get what we wanted. 
I flew up Friday morning.  Right when we got to the airport I realized that I forgot Hallie's bottle of milk!  I haven't really forgotten many things, let alone something as critical as MILK!  I had no other bottle and she won't drink milk from a sippy.  No store in the airport sells bottles either.  I was panicked.  She usually drinks a bottle at 8:30 and the flight took off right then.  I locked her in on take off and she was SO good I never even took her out of the carseat!  I lengthened out every opportunity to play with a toy or split a string cheese into 75 different bites.  Jackson was awesome too!  I guess I should fly in the morning.  Hallie pooped out right on the descent (which means I can't change her for 20-30 mins), so when I finally got to the bathroom I just threw the onsie away and went straight for a new outfit. 


 We got to spend time with my cute sister Carly, my cousin Dixie and her kids and Dayton and Afton.  MaryAnn came in the evening and we got to go to a baby shower for my other cousin.  I love how many people we get to see when we go to one place.  I love that people are somewhat surprised to see me (I still feel like I live there usually).  





Dave joined us Friday evening and then on Saturday we took advantage of Quikstart in Park City (Show an out of state ID and a boarding pass and ski free).  We had breakfast with Dave's sister before heading up to  Deer Valley.  This was my second time skiing ever (my first time I only made 2 runs) and I was TERRIBLE!  Dave was patient and kind, but I fell a lot and was terrified even more.  I hate feeling out of control and so down hill speed without really knowing how to stop myself is terrifying.  I improved so much and made the last 2 runs without falling down once!  Thanks Mom and Dad (and Marcie and grandma Marie) for watching the kids so we could enjoy a day on the slopes.

We spent the evening with Doug &Carly, Mom &Dad, Ryan & MaryAnn (they live in Utah sometimes too!) and Marcie & Melinda (yep, they are considered a couple in our family).  We watched some home videos and reminisced, played games and hot tubbed.

Sunday we went to church with Tom and Bethany.  I always forget to bring quiet church activities on vacation, so it makes for a difficult Sacrament Meeting (are they ever easy?)  but we made it with Hallie running all over the foyer and waving to everyone she met.  We ate a delicious meal with Tom and Bethany's family.
Although the flight left after bedtime (8:40) the kids both put up a fight to falling alseep.  Finally, we (meaning Dave) did get them both asleep, but they woke up after landing and were just a crying pain in the rear end (well, one of them was).  It was a rough night getting back to the car and picking up the luggage and crying kids.  We were glad to crash in our own beds at 11:00.  


2 comments:

Just Lindsay said...

You can't wish for snow if you don't have to stay here and live in it! :)

Jean said...

I hope it was a fun trip. Too bad it ended on a difficult note. Next time you're frustrated with two crying kids, read the post "Beautiful Everyday moments" from Feb. 2. That is the day to remember. Love you!