Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Pioneer Trek

In preparation for Trek, I headed to Utah with the kids for Memorial Day.  It was so wonderful that Ryan, Tyler and Shane were all in town from different states.  That means that all the grandkids (7 of them - and 2 on the way) were together.  WOW! They had such a fun time.  The 3 older boys (Jackson, Dayton, Grant) played and played with very little adult intervention.  I LOVED watching my son have fun with his cousins.  I have such wonderful memories of times at grandma's with my cousins, I am so glad my son gets the same great memories.  We played racquetball and I am happy to report that I can still beat my brother.  I ran home with a couple of my siblings and started to get really worried about the altitude in Utah for my race in a couple of weeks. We BBQed in beautiful weather (knowing it was 113 in Phoenix made it even sweeter).  The only sad part was that Dave wasn't able to come because he had to work.  At least I had a really rough night that he was glad to have missed!

After staying up until 1:00 am talking, laughing and sharing stories and jokes with my brothers and sisters, I was woken up at 2:30 because Hallie threw up.  My mom helped me bathe her and clean up all the pjs and bedding.  I couldn't get her back to sleep and with a house full of 10 adults and 7 kids I really needed her not to cry.  So I gave her a bottle.  After finally falling asleep at 3:30, Hallie threw up again at 4:00.  Another bath, change of clothes and luckily this time she snuggled into me and went back to sleep without a peep.  I fell asleep again around 4:30.  Jackson came upstairs to let me know he had thrown up at 5:00.  I was sure he would be up for the day and I was exhausted.   But luckily, he must have not been feeling up to it . . .he fell asleep.  He was big enough to lean into the pot I brought to throw up at 6:00 (and fall back asleep) and throw up again at 7:00 (and go back to sleep until 9:00!!)  Even with a crying baby and other kids up in the house, he slept until past 9:15.  I was so proud of him for making it into the bucket and he never cried or whined about throwing up, it was just a fact that he had done it and he willingly went back to sleep.  Neither kid showed many signs of not feeling well the next day (besides taking 3 hour naps).  I was nervous to leave them to go to Trek, but what could I do?  My sister-in-law willingly watched them despite the chance that they may be sick.  She is wonderful.  Then my mom took them the next couple of days so I didn't worry about them.  We were out of cell phone range (and didn't have time to call anyway) so I was glad they were in good hands.

Trek was amazing.  We had the most fantastic group of kids.  Our boys were so strong and wanted to pull all the time, which meant that the girls had to beg for turns.  The kids were constantly serving each other and us.  Dave was an incredible 'pa' and was very aware of each kid and their needs and struggles.  I was so impressed.  It was actually more difficult than I was thinking it would be (especially since I am in shape for a 1/2 marathon next week).  We were sore, tired and exhausted everyday.  I was so thankful for my boys and girls that pulled so much!

After pulling for miles, we had to make dinner (while the boys set up camp) for our families.  The food was good and we had plenty, but cooking on a camping stove with no table or other niceties was very difficult.  Washing dishes proved difficult and after the first day, the kids chose to eat with their hands rather than have to wash their dishes . . . eww! yuck!  Our hands were so filthy (except I brought a hand washing station with soap and water, so that helped a little.)

This one, we are not mad, we are trying not to smile like the pioneers used to.

There we go, that's more like our group!



Dave and I both loved the talks that were specific for the boys, and girls.  For the women's pull our boys had pulled all morning, so the girls were just happy to have a chance to touch the handcart.  We were so strong and pulled it with no problem. The boys were late, so they didn't get to watch us at all (we were the first cart up).   We ended up being 30 minutes ahead of the next cart and got to stop and play games with the kids in our ward.

My favorite part was on the second day, we had 10 stations of pioneer activities - one of which they washed our hair!!   The cold water and clean feeling absolutely amazing!  I seriously can't tell you how much I enjoyed it.

Our testimony meeting was awesome.  I felt the spirit very strongly.  I felt so much love for the youth.  I have so much hope in the future of our church in the hand of those willing to sacrifice all to serve each other and build the kingdom of God.

On the final day, we had a wonderful 'solo' time to reflect on the things we learned during trek.  Then we forced each member of our family to take a turn on top of the handcart so we could serve them (And humble them).  We were so strong it didn't seem difficult at all.


We hiked a total of 28 miles and we were so tired, dirty and sweaty on the way home.

I am so thankful we had the opportunity to go on trek, get to know the youth (and our bishopric).  I am even more thankful for my bed, showers, my kitchen, laundry, shampoo and shorts and flip flops.  What an awesome experience.

I felt like we should have a date night since we were kid-less on Friday night, but we were too tired to do anything very fun.  I did enjoy talking and reflecting on our experience with Dave.  We woke up and unpacked our dirty trek things and re-packed for Utah.  We spent all day Saturday in Utah.  Once again, I loved seeing my kids enjoy their cousins.  Dave had fun with my siblings and we were happy my brothers and dad returned safely from their motorcycle trip.


I am not proud of this photo, but all three boys got sun burned in the hot tub.  Here they are playing Don't Eat Pete after a rub down with coconut oil.

Best Buds

Dave and I both really wanted to make it to church to hear and share testimonies about the trek on Sunday.  Luckily (with only 1 seat to spare) everything worked out with our flight and we drove directly to church. We were on time for the first time in months (Who knew that it is easier to be on time to church when you come from Utah then from across the street?).   Hallie tried nursery for the first time and the leaders encouraged me to leave her (even though she is only 17 months) and she did GREAT!  I loved being able to listen in church.  Everyone in our family slept for 2 hours after church and had a great night together.  It was a wonderful day!


2 comments:

Sandra Nixon said...

I really loved hearing about your trek. I am glad you were able to go and that you had a wonderful attitude about having to arrange everything for your kids so you could go. You are an inspiration!!

mich said...

I'm so glad you had a good time! Really helps to understand what the pioneers went through. I'll never sing "no toil nor labor fear" the same way again.