How exactly does one FAIL a check up?
Well, first off, your height shrinks. . . . yep, Jackson was shorter than the last time they measured him (3 months ago). We were so proud he finally jumped above average in the height category only to be shoved down once again.
Next, your head gets bigger (jumping from the 25th percentile to the 47th percentile) TOO quickly.
Finally, on the 3rd measurement, you realize that you only gained 1 OUNCE in the last 3 months.
And this is only in the physical categories.
Your mother also has to take a "test" to see how you are doing with your locomotor, gross, fine, language and cognitive development. You happen to be blessed with a mother who would rather under-estimate just to be safe rather than brag you up. Thus, the results of the test? Under-developed in fine motor skills and language development.
Your overly questioning mother also notes a concern about speech development which spurs the doctor to ask to get your hearing checked.
In other words, we have to re-take the test in 6 weeks :(
Sorry little buddy! It's my fault, not yours!
I know, I know, he is just fine and I shouldn't worry, but if you were the mom it would be your job to worry. So reassure me all you want, but I will still be trying my best to make this guy healthy and developing normal (or above the pack)
P.S. Pictures were taken at the Discovery Gateway Center, Jan 25, 2009 - possibly the BEST day in Jackson's life thus far.
8 comments:
My sister was failure to thrive. The doctor's office applauded when she broke 20 pounds--she was almost 2. She's perfectly healthy.
And don't worry about all those tests. I'm sure everything will be totally normal--he is definitely a smart kid. Good luck!
I wouldn't worry too much about the measurements. It's hard to get measurements right until they're a little older. We've had the same thing happen - where they appear to shrink or grow too fast. The doctor has always chalked it up to inaccurate measurements at the previous appointment. Jackson looks normal and healthy, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. And, I'm sure the other tests will turn out fine. But, I know how it is...it's not easy to hear that your precious child may not be perfect. I went home and cried when we found out that Matthew has chronic ear problems that affect his hearing. We have to take him in to get his second set of tubes, and get his adnoids and tonsils removed. :( And, I went home and really cried when the doctor informed me that Justin had a freakish head and had to wear a helmet for six months and go physical therapy.
Sometimes, being a mom is hard and it's easy to feel guilty and blame yourself for things. But I think you're a terrific mom :)
1. Jackson has always been a little short. You have to let him grow at his own speed.
2. His head was super small, so for it to suddenly grow fast isn't surprising. He's going to need a bigger head to hold all those brains he's developing.
3. Hello, the kid never stops moving. I'm not surprised that he hasn't gained any weight.
4. There have been many Harpers with delayed language development, but not one of us suffers from a lack of things to say now. :)
I understand the worrying--you want him to be textbook perfect. But I think if you let Jackson be Jackson, he'll turn out better than you'd ever imagine. You give him love and attention, food (when he'll eat it), safety and regularity. That's what he needs to thrive, and he will.
I think he's great and one of the sweetest souls I know.
THe gateway childrens place is so much fun, we were there just a couple days ago. Glad he had a great day. WE need to hang out soon.
p.s. My vote is that Jackson is fine! but i know you will still worry :)
At least his head is bigger! :) He'll be a smart kid. I'm the same way about those motor skill tests. If I can't think of a specific time that they did exactly what they are asking I have a hard time saying "yes". He is a handsome kid! :)
HA
Don'te feel bad, I've missed Porters last three appointments. He's so behind!
The Gateway looks like it was a BLAST!
Remember that it's all relative. There was one nurse in Utah that always measured Dayton smaller than he was. The doctor would recheck the measurements and sometimes she was WAY off. You're right. I would be stressing too (we're moms....that's what we do!), but really he is fine!!
Post a Comment